Saturday, December 27, 2014

Keeping things interesting


Finding gifts for Jackson isn't easy, but it sure is interesting.

Of the Christmas gifts he received from me and his poppy, Twisted Peppermint body lotion was Jackson's favorite. I'm just glad I was able to come up with some other things this year he would like that weren't from Bath & Body Works or the gift card rack (although he did get the requisite Bath & Body Works gift card).

To accommodate some of Jackson's other obsessions, we gave him a foot massager and a massage ball, as well as a pedicure kit so he doesn't have to wait for a visit to my house to have the full-blown treatment.

Getting a hand massage with his new massage ball

For his room, we gave Jackson fabric posters of his favorite rock bands—Linkin Park and Rage Against the Machine—plus an Uncle Milton Rainbow In My Room Nightlight Projector. (Thank God for Amazon, or I'd have to visit several different types of stores to shop for Jackson.)

It was such a joy watching him open gifts. But when he opened one box and saw just the tissue paper, he set it aside, then looked toward the pile for his next gift. I'm sure that one was a disappointment until I showed him what was beneath the paper.

Sitting on Mema's lap Christmas Day
(Don't try this at home)

Two weeks before Christmas, Jackson spent the night. First on the agenda was the Christmas concert given by Symphony North of Houston. Between some of the songs, Jackson would turn to me and gleefully exclaim, "Hi!" He was obviously enjoying the performance. But when I asked during intermission if he wanted to wait and hear more music or go ahead and leave, he replied, "Walmart."

He must have been paying attention to my phone conversation in the car earlier when I mentioned going to Walmart after the concert so he could pick out some snacks. It was probably at the forefront of his mind the whole time.

When we entered the store, Jackson made a beeline for the toiletries. I tried to talk him out of getting two deodorants, especially since he had two in the car, but we both knew I would cave.

Jackson then selected cheese and crackers, macaroni and cheese, and candy. I suggested some breakfast foods for the morning, but he didn't want any. I wonder ... did he think if none of his breakfast foods were in my kitchen that I'd take him out for pancakes? That's exactly what happened, so maybe it was by design.

He was happy to be at Denny's. So was I. We had good pancakes and a great waitress. I appreciated that she took note of Jackson's name as I spoke to him and that she called him by name when she returned to our table. Then as we were leaving, she called out, "Bye, Jackson!" I was compelled to turn back, double her tip, and thank her for being kind to my grandson.

I guess some people ignore Jackson because they don't know how to interact with him. But really, all they need to do is simply acknowledge him. Just talk to him like they would any other kid. Even if he doesn't respond in some way, that doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate it. And you can bet I do, even if I don't say so.

Ready for a shave
After breakfast, spa day began. I gave Jackson a mani-pedi, hand and foot massages, and for my first time, a shave. (His 'stache remains, but that scraggly goatee had to go!) We brushed his teeth, combed his hair, and put some of that deodorant where it was meant to be.

Angy told me the next day that Jackson must have had a good time because he kept talking about me. "What was he saying?" I asked. "Nana," she replied. Awww ... to me anyway, that says a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Will Jackson let me borrow the Nightlight projector? It sounds really nifty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OR ... you could just go look at it in Jackson's room. That way, he could play with your hair while you're enjoying the rainbow. :)

    ReplyDelete